Espoo, Finland 27 August 2018 -- Valmet will supply an extensive paper machine grade conversion rebuild and a wide scope of automation for Burgo Group S.p.A. at its Verzuolo Mill in Italy. In the project, originally Valmet-supplied paper machine PM 9 and related stock preparation systems currently producing lightweight coated (LWC) paper grades, will be rebuilt to produce recycled containerboard grades.
The order is included in Valmet's third quarter of 2018 orders received. The value of the order will not be disclosed. The total value of an order of this type is typically around EUR 40-60 million.
The project is following Burgo Group's plan to keep the focus on containerboard grades and to continue its diversification strategy, ranging from publishing to packaging, from printing paper to paper for corrugators. The start-up of the rebuilt machine is scheduled for the end of 2019.
"Valmet and Burgo have had a long and successful cooperation over the years at the Verzuolo mill. By having all the process equipment, process automation and mill engineering from one supplier, binds it all into a one. This assures a very good flow of information, a reliable project schedule, short installation time and an energy-efficient operation. Valmet's long expertise on grade conversions is essential for this project. It is also a great asset for Burgo, that this paper machine was originally supplied by Valmet in 2001, so we know it well," says Jari Vähäpesola, President of Paper Business Line, Valmet.
Technical details about the delivery
Valmet's delivery includes a completely new Old Corrugated Containers (OCC) line and major modifications in the existing paper machine. The OCC line, which is called an OptiRefiber recycled fiber line, contains two bale handling and vertical pulper systems, extensive cleaning and screening systems with fractionation and disc filters for short and long fiber lines. The scope includes also new reject handling system for OCC rejects. Also, the existing broke system and approach flow system are modified. The delivery in the existing paper machine includes a headbox rebuild, modifications to forming section, press section and pre dryer section, a new after dryer section with a high humidity hood, modifications to the size press, a continuous cooking system for surface size starch, and relocation of the existing reel.
The delivery also includes related air systems, a large Valmet paper machine clothing package, and changes and improvements in the automation including machine control, quality management, and process control and condition monitoring systems. The delivery includes mill engineering for both the OCC line and board machine. All the equipment will be delivered with installation and an additional production support package after start-up.
PM 9 will be producing recycled liner and fluting grades at a trim width of 9,800 mm and with a basis weight range of 70-160 g/m2. The annual capacity will be 600,000 tonnes.
Information about the customer Burgo Group
Burgo Group is one of Europe's leading producers of graphic and specialty paper. The Group is developed around the world of paper: pulp and paper production, distribution, processing of forestry products, factoring and energy. The Group employs 3,663 people and has 11 plants in Italy and 1 in Belgium, and in total 16 continuous machines. In 2017, Burgo Group produced 2,057,000 tons of paper and had a consolidated turnover of EUR 2,008 million.
Valmet is the leading global developer and supplier of process technologies, automation and services for the pulp, paper and energy industries. We aim to become the global champion in serving our customers.
Valmet's strong technology offering includes pulp mills, tissue, board and paper production lines, as well as power plants for bioenergy production. Our advanced services and automation solutions improve the reliability and performance of our customers' processes and enhance the effective utilization of raw materials and energy.
Valmet's net sales in 2017 were approximately EUR 3.1 billion. Our more than 12,000 professionals around the world work close to our customers and are committed to moving our customers' performance forward - every day. Valmet's head office is in Espoo, Finland and its shares are listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki.
Read more www.valmet.com
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.