Espoo, Finland 09 May 2018 -- Valmet will supply a containerboard making line for Hamburger Rieger GmbH at its Spremberg Mill in Germany. The new production line (PM 2) including Valmet's automation solutions will be designed to produce high-quality testliner grades based on 100% recycled paper.
With the new high performance boardmaking machine producing products of a wide basis weight range, Hamburger aims to further strengthen its position in the growing European containerboard business. The start-up of the machine is scheduled for mid-2020.
The order is included in Valmet's second quarter of 2018 orders received. The value of the order will not be disclosed. The total value of an order of this type is typically around EUR 70-90 million.
"The ability to show good references is always an important factor when a customer chooses a supplier. This was also crucial for Hamburger when they decided to make an agreement with Valmet. Valmet's technology delivers high productivity, resource efficiency, excellent quality and low operating costs. We have built up a good and close relationship with Hamburger over the years. This forms an optimal foundation for an excellent project and a strong reference for Valmet in Europe," says Vesa Simola, EMEA Area President of Valmet.
Technical details about the delivery
Valmet's delivery will include a new high-capacity containerboard machine from headbox to reel followed by an OptiWin Pro winder. The winder was selected because it gives high capacity due to its proactive winding geometry and faster sequences. The winder is equipped with Dual Unwind giving even higher capacity because the parent rolls can be changed in only one minute. The machine will be delivered with a fabrics package. The automation solution includes Valmet IQ quality measurement system and Valmet DNA process control system. The delivery will also include process support for six months after the start-up. The goal of the support period is production and quality development.
The 8,600-mm wide (wire) containerboard machine will produce uncoated white and brown testliner and white top testliner grades with a basis weight range of 90-180 g/m2. The design speed of the machine will be 1,500 m/min and the capacity 500,000 tonnes annually.
About the customer Hamburger Rieger
Hamburger Rieger is part of the Hamburger Containerboard Division within the Austrian Prinzhorn Group. Hamburger Rieger is the market leader in the segment of white coated corrugates base paper. With 2 million tonnes and seven plants, Hamburger Containerboard ranks among Europe's leading manufacturers of premium corrugated base paper. With its 6,600 employees in 15 countries, the Prinzhorn Group is a European market leader in the packaging, paper and recycling industry. The family owned and managed Prinzhorn Group has its headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
Valmet is the leading global developer and supplier of process technologies, automation and services for the pulp, paper and energy industries. We aim to become the global champion in serving our customers.
Valmet's strong technology offering includes pulp mills, tissue, board and paper production lines, as well as power plants for bioenergy production. Our advanced services and automation solutions improve the reliability and performance of our customers' processes and enhance the effective utilization of raw materials and energy.
Valmet's net sales in 2017 were approximately EUR 3.1 billion. Our more than 12,000 professionals around the world work close to our customers and are committed to moving our customers' performance forward - every day. Valmet's head office is in Espoo, Finland and its shares are listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki.
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Working as a Consultant? Looking for some additional challenges with a flexible scheduling? Have a background in Consistency Control? This may be just the opportunity you are looking for: A large multi-national automation company seeks an expert in paper mill consistency technology. This individual will facilitate application support and start-ups in the paper mill environment. In addition, the ability to provide troubleshooting and technical advice and support is strongly desired. The individual should have an understanding of rotary, blade, microwave and optical consistency and the application of these devices in the paper mill. The company sells and maintains a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors. These products are marketed in the US through a rep. network. Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is also desirable. Individual must be willing to travel to paper production facilities across the US. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.