Helsinki, Finland 26 April 2018 -- As the world leader in label papers, UPM continues to grow in the attractive release liner segments to support its customers globally. Steady growth is expected to continue in all markets driven by favourable economic conditions and strong increase in specialty paper demand for labelling, packaging and e-commerce as well as in medical and hygiene applications.
To strengthen its position UPM will rebuild paper machine 2 at its Nordland mill in Dörpen, Germany and convert it from fine paper to glassine paper production. The machine will be equipped with new finishing equipment and starts producing glassine paper as of Q4 2019. The planned capacity after the rebuild will be 110,000 tonnes per year. The total investment in Nordland is EUR 116 million. The production of woodfree papers on PM2 in Nordland will continue until Q3 2019 and the machine will be producing both glassine and woodfree paper during the ramp-up phase.
UPM has also decided to further increase the release liner base paper capacity at UPM Changshu mill in China. Since the successful startup of the paper machine 3 in Changshu, UPM has established a strong position in the label paper segment in Asia. By installing a second supercalender on paper machine 3, there will be an additional capacity of more than 40,000 tons of glassine paper a year as of Q1 2020. The total investment in Changshu is EUR 33 million.
"We see strong growth in all our market segments and we are committed to be part of the growth. The planned investments in Nordland and Changshu, along with the earlier announced calender investment at our Jämsänkoski mill, will increase customer confidence in their global growth in release liner applications. The planned installations will also enable increased specialisation of our assets. Thus we can improve our operational efficiency and strengthen supply security," says Bernd Eikens, Executive Vice President of UPM Specialty Papers.
UPM Specialty Papers
UPM Specialty Papers produces labelling and packaging materials to global markets and fine papers to Asian markets. Its main customers are paper converters, distributors, retailers and printers. UPM Specialty Papers is a leader in sustainable development in the industry. Its high performance papers are produced in Finland and China. UPM Specialty Papers employs approximately 1,700 people in Finland, China, United States, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Australia. www.upmspecialtypapers.com
UPM leads the forest-based bioindustry into a sustainable, innovation-driven and exciting future across six business areas: UPM Biorefining, UPM Energy, UPM Raflatac, UPM Specialty Papers, UPM Communication Papers and UPM Plywood. UPM provides sustainable and safe solutions to the growing global consumption. Products are made of renewable and recyclable materials. The group employs around 19,100 people worldwide and its annual sales are approximately EUR 10 billion. UPM shares are listed on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki. UPM - The Biofore Company - www.upm.com
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Working as a Consultant? Looking for some additional challenges with a flexible scheduling? Have a background in Consistency Control? This may be just the opportunity you are looking for: A large multi-national automation company seeks an expert in paper mill consistency technology. This individual will facilitate application support and start-ups in the paper mill environment. In addition, the ability to provide troubleshooting and technical advice and support is strongly desired. The individual should have an understanding of rotary, blade, microwave and optical consistency and the application of these devices in the paper mill. The company sells and maintains a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors. These products are marketed in the US through a rep. network. Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is also desirable. Individual must be willing to travel to paper production facilities across the US. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.