Longview, Washington, USA 02 May 2018 -- With the U.S. uncoated groundwood papers industry starting to see a level playing field against unfairly traded imports, North Pacific Paper Company (NORPAC) CEO Craig Anneberg announced the hiring of 50 new full- and part-time employees and the limited restart of operations for Paper Machine 1 (PM1) idled this past year:
"NORPAC has a world-class facility that can compete with anyone in the world on a level playing field. With the recent trade case preliminary determinations made by the Department of Commerce, important steps toward fair competition for American producers, NORPAC is excited to announce the hiring of 50 new employees and the limited restart of operations for Paper Machine 1 at our Longview facility to meet growing demand.
"After years of unfair, demoralizing market conditions and the associated difficult decisions that were required to survive, we have worked with our employees to test and create a system that can respond rapidly to the dynamic needs of the customers we serve. As more clarity regarding the impacts of competing on a level playing field become clear we will further improve our organizational capability."
The current hiring initiative will include operators, maintenance, engineer and logistics positions. PM1 will be operated on a limited basis to meet the growing demand for American-made printing and writing papers as market conditions have improved slightly for the domestic uncoated groundwood papers industry in the face of unfair trade from Canada.
In its preliminary countervailing duty determination, the U.S. Department of Commerce found that Canadian uncoated groundwood paper was subsidized by an average of 6.53 percent. As a result, Commerce will impose tariffs on imports of uncoated groundwood papers to offset the unfair advantage provided by Canadian government subsidies ranging from 4.42 to 9.93 percent. Commerce also found in its preliminary antidumping determination that some imports of uncoated groundwood papers from Canada are being dumped in the U.S. market at up to 22.16 percent less than fair value.
In the face of unfair competition since 2012, more than ten American mills have closed resulting in the loss of approximately 2,150 jobs, reducing the U.S. groundwood paper industry's production capacity by nearly 70 percent. Today, there are groundwood paper mills operating in Washington state, Georgia, and Mississippi, which support family-wage jobs and countless community businesses and supporting industries.
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Working as a Consultant? Looking for some additional challenges with a flexible scheduling? Have a background in Consistency Control? This may be just the opportunity you are looking for: A large multi-national automation company seeks an expert in paper mill consistency technology. This individual will facilitate application support and start-ups in the paper mill environment. In addition, the ability to provide troubleshooting and technical advice and support is strongly desired. The individual should have an understanding of rotary, blade, microwave and optical consistency and the application of these devices in the paper mill. The company sells and maintains a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors. These products are marketed in the US through a rep. network. Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is also desirable. Individual must be willing to travel to paper production facilities across the US. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.